Consular Protection

How the Embassy – the Consulate can assist you

In case of loss or theft of documents:

Report the loss to the nearest police station. They will issue a police report and a certificate. Then contact your Embassy or Consulate to apply for a:

  1. travel certificate for your return journey to Bosnia and Herzegovina
  2. new passport – if legal prerequisites for issuance of passport are fulfilled.

In case of arrest or imprisonment:

If you are arrested, you should ask the local Authorities to contact the Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina. erzgepovHerWhen the Embassy is notified of the arrest or imprisonment they can inform the local Authorities that you are under consular protection of Bosnia and Herzegovina and ask information about the reason of your arrest or imprisonment. The Embassy can arrange for you to be visited by a representative of the Embassy or the Consulate. They can verify with the local Authority the circumstances of your arrest and the fulfillment of the local laws during the arrest. A representative of the Consulate can provide a list of local lawyers upon your request. (You would be responsible for the fees).

In case of illness:

If you become ill while abroad, you can contact the Embassy or Consulate for a list of local clinics and hospitals. (You cover the cost of hospital and other expenses).

In case of serious accident:

The Consulate will inform your family of your condition through competent Authorities. At the request of the family the Consulate will consider with them a continuation of your hospitalization.

In case of death:

In case of death, the Consulate will notify the family. At the request of the family the Consulate will provide them with information about the returning of the remains back to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Costs for preparing and returning the remains are the responsibility of the family.

In case of other problems:

The Embassy or Consulate can give advice and provide a list of useful contact (lawyers, attorneys, ect.)

When the Embassy – the Consulate cannot assist you

Cannot repatriate you at State expense.

Cannot pay your penalties, hotel, medical or any other bills.

Cannot intervene in a judicial process to obtain your release if you committed a crime in the hosting country.

The Embassy – the Consulate is not a travel agency, bank or insurance company.

Cannot provide consular protection if you have citizenship of the hosting country.

JSN Nuru template designed by